Your home’s roof is a component that has to be kept in tip-top shape for it to stay beautiful and energy-efficient. This also goes to the other components under it such as the roofing shingles. In this post, the leading roofing and siding repair company, Ken Morton Roofing & Siding, shares the pros and cons of placing a new roof over existing shingles.
What Is a Roof-Over?
In the simplest sense, a roof-over is when a roofing contractor decides to place a new roof over the old shingles. They opt not to strip off the sheathing and replace it with a whole new set of shingles for various reasons. In some states, this is permitted, and some do not allow it. However, they come with their fair share of benefits and drawbacks. Read on to learn more.
Pros of Overlaying
1. Cheaper Job Cost. The main reason homeowners choose to do a roof-over is the savings that they’ll get. To put this in perspective, you can save around $600 from a tear-off job. Not to mention that you’ll also save up on cleanup, disposal, and dumpster rentals as well.
2. Less Clutter. When your roofing contractors are working on the job, you’ll find out that the project area will be less messy since there’s not much stuff to be torn off in the first place.
3. It’s Faster. Since your roofers don’t have to tear out your old shingles and clean it off, it’ll save time and money.
1. Can’t Detect Pre-Existing Issues. Your old shingles may hide issues that can grow worse over time such as leaks, rotted wood, or mold which can be costly to repair if left untreated.
2. Added Weight. The new layer puts more stress on your roof decking which takes a toll on your roof, especially during the winter months.
3. It Gets Hotter. Getting new layers of shingles will make your roof hotter because the heat that gets trapped inside them can wear your shingles down faster, especially if you’ve added new shingles over warped shingles.
Do you need immediate roof repairs or replacements for your home? Trust in Ken Morton Roofing & Siding! We’ve been treating our customers like family since 1985 and we’re a GAF Master Elite® roofer as well. Call us at (856) 582-8800 or fill out our contact form to get a free quote. We serve the customers in Woodstown and the rest of NJ!